Founded in 1896, we continue to serve the needs of over 400 young people between the ages of 2-19, with a wide range of educational difficulties, from moderate to severe and complex needs. Some have additional physical, sensory, behavioural or autistic conditions, where we provide additional adult support or specialised facilities.
In recent years, we have carefully and meticulously created an exceptional building and facilities that stimulate and challenge our young people and wider community. Our most recent Ofsted Inspection, described Calthorpe as;
“An outstanding trail blazing school, which provides an enormous range of excellent educational opportunities for its pupils that successfully promote very high personal and academic achievement.” – Ofsted 2008
Click here to see our Local Offer.
Find out more about us
Calthorpe Academy aims to be a caring community dedicated to enhancing individual development, founded on high professional standards, mutual trust and respect for the essential worth and human dignity of all it’s members.
- Provide a broad balanced and relevant curriculum designed to enable all pupils to develop their abilities and realise their potential
- Promote a safe, secure and happy atmosphere where children can learn effectively, build up their self-esteem and develop their independence
- Provide a purposeful and stable environment conducive to high standards of achievement and behaviour
- Promote respect for the religion, beliefs and the culture of others, regardless of race, gender, disability and aptitude
- Enable pupils to take increasing responsibility for their own learning
- Provide a range of multi professional support so that each child can have access to their curriculum entitlement
- Actively seek ways of helping and involving parents in the care, development and education of their child
09.00 – 10.00 Lesson One 10.00 – 10.45 Lesson Two 10.45 – 11.00 Break 11.00 – 12.00 Lesson Three 12.00 – 13.00 Lunch 13.00 – 13.45 Lesson Four 13.45 – 14.30 Lesson Five 14.30 – 15.20 Lesson Six.
Inclusion is a driving factor at Calthorpe. Integrated activities with our local mainstream schools, colleges and vocational business partners are an important feature of our planned programme of work..
What we offer:
“The staff worked extremely well with me, to tailor teaching to my son’s specific needs. I was delighted that, at the age of 15, my son had learned to say his very first words, ‘water’ and ‘food’.”
“Partnerships within and beyond the school are excellent. These ensure that the learning, as well as physical and emotional needs, of all groups of students are met exceedingly well. Consequently achievement, well-being, spiritual, moral, social and cultural development are outstanding for all.”
“I’m pleased but not surprised to receive a fifth outstanding Ofsted report. We have a great team of dedicated and hard-working staff, from teaching assistants to teachers and all the ancillary staff. It’s a very positive place and our children benefit from lots of opportunities.”